Learn to begin sewing

by - February 10, 2020

But I've Never Sewn Before, Where Do I Start?


So many people say to me, "I wish I knew how to sew!" and all the time I tell them to just "go down the rabbithole" of YouTube and search for sewing videos and tutorials. It's great for the visual and audio learners and if you keep it by your machine and pause as you go, it's great for the kinesthetic learners too!

 I didn't learn this way, so I didn't have links to share, but I feel the need to include some great how to videos because I don't want to assume that everyone wanting to sew bras already knows how to sew.

About 12 or 13 years ago, I went through a pretty hard set of circumstances in my life and one of the bright spots in my world was reading Gertie's blog.  She was pretty new to the things she was working on and building her skill and I got to watch as she went from vintage patterns to teaching, authoring, and designing her own patterns. I was so pleased to find this delightful video, that I just had to share. This video below is pretty excellent on how a sewing machine works and a great first project to get some skill.

  I searched high and low for a drawstring bag tutorial to present to you a project to practice skills that will relate to sewing bras. One should always wash their bras in a sink with gentle soap and spend time being very careful not to damage handmade goods. However, most of us have a never ending to do list and find ourselves throwing bras in the washer. I strongly urge the use of a lingerie bag and making one is an excellent way to prepare for sewing bras. I chose this video because it teaches French seams, and the casing for the drawstring is topstitched the same way you will topstitch channeling on a bra.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Please be kind, y'all!