Bra cup pressing ham

by - March 16, 2020


I have been staring longingly at a sphere shaped pressing ham for bra cups on various people's sites, and had made up my mind to make one when a fellow bra maker shared this tutorial by Kat makes (and that's her picture above). Head on over and make a boob ham... Good sewing practice and excellent tool for bra-making.


https://www.katmakes.com/blog/2019/6/12/tutorial-tailors-boob-ham

Bra maker Grace Horne made 2 versions to have two shapes for pressing. Here's the first one, with 6 panels for a more round shape than a 4 panel.




Here's the second version:

"I made mine with a wool (green) outer, a cotton layer and then wool felt layer. Because I didn’t want the bulk in the seams, I cut the black felt at the seam lines and tacked all the layers together close to the edge."


"I sewed three sections together and retacked the seams opened to hold the layers. I gave it a good press and then zigzagged over the seam to keep it flat and secure the internal felt layer." 


"The two halves got sewn together, pressed open and top stitched too." 


"I zigzagged around the edge of the black felt on the bottom edge of the dome and around the felt on the base piece. When I sewed the base on, I left 1/3 open and again tacked the seam allowances to each side and turned it right side out." 


"I used three pieces of thin (Amazon book envelope) card in the base. They have to be folded and then stuffed in and turned and flattened. You want the grain (folds) to go across each other." 


"And then you stuff and stuff and when you think that you’re done you give it a massage and stuff it some more."

"And finally stitch it up. And clean up all the wood chips that the dog has spread around the house! 😁"


Many thanks to Grace Horne for sharing her process! 


You May Also Like

0 comments

Please be kind, y'all!